BMus, MMus, MBA, PhD
is a cultural consultant, curriculum developer, and
music educator based in Winnipeg, Canada. His research
interests include cultural enterprise education, arts education policy
development, curriculum analysis, and the group dynamics of musical ensembles, particularly small choirs.
His doctoral dissertation is entitled, "Music Business
Education in Canada: a census and developmental template." Dr. Guise
has presented over 30 invited papers and workshops in Canada, Iceland, Sweden, the
United Kingdom, and the United States, has published 24 CD reviews
Folk Music [CFM] / CFM Bulletin, has written monthly columns for the True North
Brass and in the Ontario DX Association magazine Listening In, and has recorded
and edited compact discs for numerous clients. He is also an award winning photographer and avid (obsessive?) cyclist.
Bibliography & Research Methods - Choral Conducting
- Choral Methods - Contemporary Aural Skills - Fundamentals of Music Education - History of Baroque and Early Classical Music - History of Late Classical and Romantic Music - Human Musical Learning and Development - Music as Business: Principles and Practices - Music of the Twentieth Century I/II - Performance Media: Voice - Rudiments of Music - Research Methods - Rudiments of Music Theory and Aural Skills - Sociology of Music
Chinook's Edge School Association Honour Choir (Red Deer,
AB) - Chorale La Rose des Vents (St. John’s, NL) - Karlakórinn Hreimur (Húsavík, Iceland) - Red Deer College [RDC] Concert Choir - RDC Keyboard/Chamber Music ensembles - RDC Studio Choir - Shawnee Choral Society (Topeka, KS) - [UAlberta] Chorale St. Jean - UAlberta Concert Choir - UAlberta Graduate Recital Choir - University of Kansas [KU] Concert Choir - KU Men's Glee Club
(2013). Music Business Education in Canada: Implications for collection development. Fontes Artis Musicae 60/3 (pp. 194-198).
- Guise, P., and Faulkner, R. (2005). The Icemen Cometh: A
choral travel saga with implications for the acquisition of business
skills. In K. Adams (Ed.), Sharing the Voices: The Phenomenon of Singing V (pp. 104-114).
- (2004). Music Business Education in Canada: A census and
developmental template. (Doctoral dissertation, University of Kansas,
2004). Dissertation Abstracts International 65/10, 3735.
- (2003). The Relationship Between Voice Part and
Self-Selected Pitch. In Sharing the Voices: The Phenomenon of Singing
IV (pp. 94-99).
- (2001). Director or Leader? How to Gain Control of the
Choir (and how to give it away). In A. Rose & K. Adams (Eds.),
Sharing the Voices: The Phenomenon of Singing III (pp. 132-137).
- (1999). Group Dynamics and the Small Choir. In B. A.
Roberts & A. Rose (Eds.), Sharing the Voices: The Phenomenon of
Singing II (pp. 108-115).
- (1999). Six Piano Miniatures. On Glossa [CD]. Edmonton, AB,
Canada: Edmonton Composers’ Concert Society (CLEF 99003-2).
- Glossa. Edmonton Composers’ Concert Society Compact Disc -
(CLEF 99003-2). All recording, engineering, editing/mixing, mastering.
- (1994). Embers [Electroacoustic composition on CD].
Kingston, ON, Canada: Queen’s University Arts and Science Undergraduate
- Fearful Symmetry. Original acoustic and electroacoustic
music for the feature length dramatic work, commissioned by Threshold
Theatre, Kingston, ON, Canada. Debuted Spring 1994.